Chris Foggin / Director
This week I asked movie director, Chris Foggin, 10 questions in 10 minutes about working in the movie business.
Chris’s new film, FISHERMAN’S FRIENDS, is released in the UK on 15 March.
This is his second movie – a follow up to his debut feature KIDS IN LOVE and his amazing short films THAT NIGHT and FRIEND REQUEST PENDING.
10 Questions in 10 Minutes
1. What inspired you to become a film director
I wanted to make films that brought families together. Just like they did with my family.
2. What was the first movie to have a major impact on you
ARTHUR – starring Dudley Moore. Watching that film with my family is one of my fondest memories.
3. What’s been tougher about the industry than you thought it would be?
Getting projects green lit. Finding funding is the trickiest part.
4. What do you enjoy most about making movies?
The collaboration and working with people that are much smarter than me. Which doesn’t take much ..
5. What do you look for when asked to read a script?
I have to be able to visualise it straight away. I have to be engaged after 10 pages, or I get very distracted.
6. How do you approach working with cast / crew – leading your film set?
I just allow them to do their jobs. They are all no doubt highly skilled and the less interference from me the better. I am very open to ideas and love to collaborate.
7. Is there a book or story you’d love to turn into a movie?
I really loved Dawn French’s ‘Oh Dear Silvia’. I think there is a lovely film in there.
8. What one piece of advice would you give an aspiring director?
Expect nothing. Keep going and always back yourself (that’s 3!).
9. Cinema experience or Netflix
10. In one sentence, sum up your new movie “Fisherman’s Friends”
The feel good film that everyone needs right now.
Leave a Reply