- Pre-sales + tax rebates + equity are harder to find.
- We live in a digital world – anyone can upload and download movies.
- VOD has replaced certain theatrical & DVD release patterns.
- You have more choices now – but that doesn’t make it easy.
how can you get your movie online & out to an audience?
If you have managed to fund your movie – a major feat! – how can you get online film distribution?
- The traditional model is to find a distributor to take the movie out in each territory – but one size doesn’t fit all.
- If your movie has a big enough reach to warrant a theatrical release, great – let that distributor get to work.
- Smaller films however can get lost in a ‘volume’ business and traditional distribution may not be for you.
- BUT you have to promote this movie – there’s no marketing team backing you up.
- If you choose online film distribution, YOU are the marketing team
- You need to know who your movie is for.
- Who are they?
- Where are they?
- How do you get to them?
- Try targeted ads via social media specialists.
- Your movie will NOT be for everyone.
- Who is your core audience?
- Promote the movie to that demographic.
- What is the hook for your movie?
- If it is easily definable, then it is easier to pitch out to potential viewers.
- The movie has to rise above the ‘noise’ that is content online.
- Become your own brand and engage with your audience.
- Be the Taylor Swift of the movie business – create a conversation.
- Build an identity that flows through all of your content.
- Once you have that following, they will engage on everything you do & share.
It’s much easier to get a film out there than ever before, however, rising above the noise is a trickier task.